After a 15-year hiatus, the University of Louisville has decided to bring back its homecoming parade. This year's festivities will be held at 6 p.m. on Oct. 17, the night before the homecoming game against NC State.
Here are the rest of the details you need to know:
The parade starts at Cardinal Boulevard and 3rd Street intersection by Cardinal Towne and follows 3rd Street South until its conclusion at the J.B. Speed School of Engineering off Eastern Pkwy. The route is 0.8 miles total. Check-in for the parade begins at 3:30 and you must be checked in no later than 5 p.m. on October 17 with remaining members of your entry in place no later than 5:30 p.m.
The theme for this year's Homecoming and parade is "Welcome bACC". We encourage entries that are interested in competing for parade recognition to adhere creatively to our theme. Entries will be judged on the theme, and creatively incorporating the Cardinal, the opposing team's mascot (NC State Wolfpack), or any other relevant university traditions. Mini or large floats are encouraged, in addition to vehicle, biking, walking, or marching entries. Cheers, chants, musical performances, costumes, and dance routines may be performed.
Parade winners will be recognized during half time of the soccer game directly after the parade at 7:30 p.m.. Parade points for UofL student groups will weigh heavily in overall Homecoming Week SAB points. Parade applications are due by Friday, October 10.
Requirements for Participation:
- Maximum allowed length of total entry: 40 feet (including tow vehicle)
- Maximum allowed width of total entry: 10 feet
- Maximum allowed height of total entry: 13 feet (from street to top of entry)
- Maximum number of people allowed per entry: 50 (exceptions granted for marching bands)
- No tractor trailers allowed
- Entry MUST conform to theme and include a celebration of UofL spirit. You are allowed to interpret the theme in your design, but all interpretations are subject to the approval of the Parade Review Committee.
- Have a sign or banner that identifies your group during the parade
- All entries must travel the entire length of the parade (0.8 miles)
- Towed entries must have a rigid hitch and safety chains
- All motorized units must have a fire extinguisher with current inspection or sticker
- All parade vehicles (except those entered by car dealerships) must be street licensed.
- No wheelies or stunting will be permitted
- Student organizations will compete with their Homecoming Week pairings given by the Student Activities Board and Office of Student Involvement. No more than 4 organizations will be paired together.
- Must have entry manager or other selected representative to check-in parade entry between 3:30-5 p.m.on Friday, October 17. If you have multiple members walking in your parade entry, please encourage them to arrive by 5:30 p.m..
It is recommended (not required) that you bring candy to pass out during the parade.
If I'm not the Grand Marshal then I'm not going.
But seriously, I'm glad they're doing this. But also seriously, if I'm not the Grand Marshal then I'm not going.