A few newcomers joined the veterans in the practice session tonight. A couple of quick notes from the first day in shoulder pads:
- Reggie Bonnafon started off tonight's practice going fourth in drills with the quarterbacks but he ended up behind Will Gardner during actual full team sessions. He looked comfortable as the night went on and didn't have the typical "happy feet" that most freshmen have. I would say he is the early favorite to backup Gardner this year. I'm stressing early by the way.
- Ryan Mack moved to guard with the first team offensive line today. That's a pretty big development if it continues for the rest of the week. Mack has experience at guard, but he has played tackle for the most part since he's been here. He adds size to the line and it keeps him away from having to deal with speed rushers on the outside. Jake Smith has been at center for all three practices, so it looks like that might be the plan going forward.
- James Sample and Chucky Williams pretty much switched spots today with Sample joining the vets and manning the free safety spot in the nickel package. He looked lost on some of the coverages, which was expected. But, when he knew what was going on he made a few really good plays. I think once he gets a better grip on things he will at least add much needed depth.
- Josh Harvey-Clemons is ridiculously long. He's a lean player so he doesn't really look that big, but his arms are extremely long. He looked great in press coverage and because he knows Grantham's defense, he really stood out today. He and Shaq Wiggins will be great additions next year.
- The quarterbacks looked much better today. Guys were making better decisions more quickly. They weren't where they need to be, but I was encouraged personally. The next two days will say a lot about who we will see next week at the scrimmage.