Good news for former Card and current Denver Pro Bowl defensive end Elvis Dumervil, who won't be charged with anything in a road rage incident that occurred in Miami last month.
The Broncos' star defensive end had been arrested on a class 3 felony charge of aggravated assault with a weapon, however Dumervil consistently maintained that he did not have a weapon and did not do anything wrong. Multiple witnesses eventually corroborated Dumervil's story.
"It was a blessing that the investigators took the time to get the truth out," Dumervil said. "I knew I didn't do anything wrong. It was a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm just ready for football."
According to the police report, an argument on a busy South Beach street resulted in Dumervil and a friend Andy Auguste allegedly approaching occupants in a white Impala, raising their shirts and each displaying a gun from their waist bands.
"I never had a gun on me at all," Dumervil said Tuesday. "I never left the area right outside my car door."
"I'm in the prime of my career and I haven't had a chance to show it yet," Dumervil said. "This year all the hard work I put in with my teammates during the offseason, all the work I put in learning the (coach Jack) Del Rio package, getting my body in top condition, it will not go unnoticed. So despite all this, whatever happened, my hard work will not go unnoticed."
Dumervil led the NFL in sacks in 2009 with 17, but his productivity has been slowed by injuries in each of the past two seasons.