Brian Ewart of VUHoops.com has the scoop.
After the meeting broke up, Big East commissioner John Marinatto made the following statements:
- "The presidents voted unanimously to authorize the commissioner to aggressively pursue discussions with a select number of institutions that have indicated a strong interest in joining the Big East Conference."
- "The presidents are also actively considering changes to the conference’s governing bylaws to further solidify the membership."
- Commissioner Marinatto said that UConn president Herbst was "terrific in the meeting, promised to do anything she can to help strengthen the Big East."
- They didn’t name any target schools, but noted that they will be football-playing members.
- The service academies fit the academic and athletic profile of the conference. That profile was described as "high academic standards and strong athletic performance."
- TCU Chancellor Victor J. Boschini Jr. "had never wavered" on Big East membership and was "very positive" during the meeting.
- Marinatto said he felt better about the conference’s future than before the meeting.
Basically, expect Navy and Air Force to receive football invitations soon and to hear numerous reports of talks between the Big East and East Carolina "heating up" over the course of the next couple of weeks.
Other than that, nothing of particular significance.