We're only two days into the postseason, and it's already going to be tough to top what we saw yesterday in the Patriot League. Two games decided by a single bucket, an overtime game decided by three points, and then this...
7) BUCKNELL 87, 2) NAVY 86 (3 OT)
John Griffin buried a 42-foot shot at the buzzer to give Bucknell an 87-86 triple overtime victory over Navy in the Patriot League quarterfinals.
"I had some guardian angels looking down, and they put the ball in the hole," Griffin said. "It felt good [leaving my hands]. I was just trying to get enough air. I wasn't really thinking too much."
Griffin's prayer came moments after T.J. Topercer's put-back with 2.1 seconds left seemed to secure victory for second-seeded Navy. The Midshipmen faithful in the stands and on the floor began to celebrate.
"I felt we'd won it," Navy Coach Billy Lange said. "What are you going to do? It's almost surreal to sit here and think that our season is over."
Griffin finished with 21 points to lead the Bison, while Patriot League Player of the Year Greg Sprink led Navy with a career-high 37. Sprink, however, fouled out with 39 seconds remaining in the second overtime.
"I jumped right out of my seat when Topercer made the basket," Sprink said. "I thought the game was over. Out of the corner of my eye I watched that last play, I saw the shot go up. And now I'm in here."
Seventh-seeded Bucknell will now travel to No. 3 Colgate for a semifinal tilt on Sunday.
12) TROY 70, 5) LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE 60
Since the Navy/Bucknell game is ineligible, we'll go to the Sun Belt where twelfth-seeded Troy shot 65% in the second half to erase a nine-point deficit and eliminate No. 5 Louisiana-Lafayette 70-60.
Brandon Hazzard and Jerome Odem each scored 16 points for the Trojans, who will play No. 4 seed Middle Tennessee State on Sunday in Mobile.
JOHN GRIFFIN, BUCKNELL
A little hard to go with anybody else.
1) American 62, 8) Holy Cross 60
7) Bucknell 87, 2) Navy 86 (3 OT)
3) Colgate 76, 6) Lafayette 74
5) Army 64, 4) Lehigh 61 (OT)
4) Middle Tennessee State 74, 13) Louisiana-Monroe 69
12) Troy 70, 5) Louisana-Lafayette 60
6) North Texas 85, 11) Arkansas State 63
7) Florida Atlantic 91, 10) Florida International 64
8) New Orleans 65, 9) Denver 60
1) Belmont 75, 8) Campbell 66
2) Jacksonville 65, 7) Mercer 57
ATLANTIC SUN QUARTERFINALS (NASHVILLE)
4) East Tennessee State vs. 5) Lipscomb
3) Stetson vs. 6) Gardner-Webb
BIG SOUTH SEMIFINALS (ASHEVILLE)
1) North Carolina-Asheville vs. 4) Liberty
2) Winthrop vs. 3) High Point
MISSOURI VALLEY FIRST ROUND (ST. LOUIS)
8) Indiana State vs. 9) Wichita State
7) Missouri State vs. 10) Evansville
NORTHEAST QUARTERFINALS (CAMPUS SITES)
1) Robert Morris vs. 8) Monmouth
2) Wagner vs. 7) Long Island
3) Sacred Heart vs. 6) Central Connecticut State
4) Mount St. Mary's vs. 5) Quinnipiac