First of all, thank you Charlie Strong for turning our program around. I don't wish you well at Texas but I do appreciate what you did here. Maybe when our next coach quits and you get fired, you can come back.
Now...on to the important business. A non trivial amount of UL fans are ready to bring Bobby home. I am one of them. However I know many of you are adamantly against this and with fair reason. However let me try to influence your thinking on the matter.
- We need a proven coach to keep the train rolling into the ACC. It will be difficult to entice one of the better ones into a lateral move, which is why we usually go with an up and coming coordinator, and I realize there are some good ones out there. But they are unproven as head coaches and there is lot of risk in that. How many times is one of the best coaches in the nation just going to be ripe for the pickings.
- Many of Petrinos former player have come out in support of him on Twitter as a candidate if Strong leaves, including Michael Bush, Elvis Dumervil, Richard Raglin, Breno Giacomini and Eric Wood. The fact that his former player hold no ill will towards him and in fact think he is the best guy to bring back I think speaks a lot about his competency as a coach.
- Some of you are concerned that he would just leave again in a few year. I say, so what? Apparently every coach we hire is gone in a few years, so lets just accept that fact for now and hire the best candidate with no concern for that issue. Maybe in a decade we can become a destination like Oregon, and then shop for a long term coach.
- Some of you are concerned about his past moral transgressions and how that would reflect on the university. That is certainly a legimiate gripe, however I believe the guy hit rock bottom and hopefully learned his lesson. That does happen you know. Also 98% of UL fans were willing to look past it with coach P so why is Bobby any different in that area?
- The guy can recruit florida, which is critical. Some of the other coordinators that have been mentioned may not have the ties to florida that we need. Combine Hurtt and Petrino and we should stay right on track. Some will say that other coaches will use Petrinos moral transgressions against him when talking to the parents and i don't doubt that, but I think he can easily counter that when he discusses the amount of men he put into the NFL who still adamantly support him.
- The guy is a winner, period. He proved he's still got it at Arkansas. To steal from a thread on another board, many top professionals in their field are assholes, but if I'm about to get surgery, i don't care who the guy is banging, I just care that hes the best doctor.