As of today there are six teams ahead of the Cards in the latest AP Poll. They are:
4. Ohio State
6. Texas A&M
Now here is a look at what should be the toughest games these six teams have:
1. Alabama: [9/14 at Texas A&M], [11/9 LSU], [12/7 SEC Championship Game]
2. Oregon: [11/7 at Stanford], [12/7 PAC 12 Championship Game]
3. Clemson: [10/19 Florida St], [11/30 at South Carolina], [12/7 ACC Championship Game]
4. Ohio State:[9/28 Wisconsin], [10/5 Northwestern], [11/30 at Michigan], [12/7 B10 Championship Game]
5.Stanford: [10/19 UCLA], [11/7 Oregon], [11/30 Notre Dame], [12/7 PAC 12 Championship Game]
6. Texas A&M: [9/14 Alabama], [11/23 at LSU], [12/7 SEC Championship Game]
Obviously there are other opponents in these conferences that are capable of upsetting these teams but these appear to be the toughest games on the schedule. And two of these teams are guaranteed a loss as they play each other (Alabama vs Texas A&M 9/14 and Oregon vs Stanford 11/7). Further if these teams play as expected,any teams ahead of us will likely play in their conference championships which provides another opportunity for a loss by a quality team. It appears that Oregon has the easiest route so we really need their opponents to knock them off a time or two.
The bottom line is that while it will not be easy and is certainly not a given, if the Cards can run the table, playing for a National Championship is doable. Now let's do it.
Go Cards! Win it all!