I cannot believe what I just witnessed, nor will I ever believe what I witnessed. We beat FIU in every concievable way and still lost (sorry if anyone gets angry at me, but I'm venting).
This team had about zero heart. After getting absolutely TORCHED, they responded by going three-and-out and everyone just looked so out-of-sorts.
- The offensive line is terrible. Will Stein was sacked 6 times. SIX. By a Sun Belt defense. He was running for his life half of the time. We had 8 or 9 2nd and 16s. We can't even utilize our running backs because they are so bad.
- Mike Sanford's playcalling was absolute horsecrap. Sweep on 4th and inches? Are you serious? You can't even give it to the fullback? You don't have the balls to even run a sneak? Oh, but our line can't block anyway, so who cares.
- Josh Chichester was good.
- Our defense has a threat level of about zero for forcing turnovers.
- Why not put Bridgewater in for more than a series? He was 2-2 for 14 yards! The VA play cost us a first down. This may very well be a "throwaway season." Throw him into the fire.
- We couldn't convert on third down. We couldn't convert when it mattered. Last year, we could outgrind teams (see Syracuse, Connecticut). We can't run the ball on third down. Our line can't block. The 5-10 quarterback threw 43 times, guys. That's not what we want (in retrospect though, we ran a metric crap-ton of plays).
- I want to make this clear. I don't care if you kiss the ground around the man, but he has his faults. Charlie Strong, Vance Bedford, and Mike Sanford got out coached. Charlie & Vance: We knew that TY Hilton was incredibly dangerous for about a month. He burned us twice. Please, someone, tell me why it took us 150 yards to realize that this guy can outrun the defense and to make sure the ball does end up in his hands. For Christsakes, double him, press him, do ANYTHING, ANYTHING to make sure the ball does not end up in his hands. Score after half: Louisville 7-3 FIU. See how this works, mhm? I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Sanford, your playcalling sucks.
I am incredibly disappointed by the performance tonight. The same mental errors of the Kragthorpe era were in full force. I understand how many young players we have. But that was inexcusable. We're looking at a game that sets the program back. All of our recruits seeing our a## getting handed to us by FIU on national TV are probably laughing at us right now. There was zero growth (though I like the recieving group) between the MSU game and this one. We're looking at 4-5 wins this year. So we could win 6-8 times in 2012. Quite the step down. I hate being all doom and gloom, but that is not Louisville football, and I will NOT accept that product.