The FanPost by yawnz inspired me to create a new tradition hopefully starting next year. Now I need your help to decide what direction it should go... no pun intended. To honor Freedom Hall and the game that will forever be etched in Cardinal legend history, I propose a new run/walk/bike event, The Kuric Classic.
My proposed route is approximately 6.3 miles, starting at Freedom Hall and ending at the new downtown arena. You can view the route I created here. As you can see, the route will go around Freedom Hall on the Circle of Champions, down Central Ave past Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (nice Central bridge 'hill') viewing Churchill Downs, and take a right on 3rd, going past Jim Patterson baseball stadium, the University of Louisville Belknap campus, the Granville Inn, etc... all the way down to Main St to end up at the entrance of the new arena.
While the 3rd street bike lane could help make this a non-official event without traffic control barricades, should we make this official? Should we ask Kyle if he wants to make this an entry-fee event with proceeds going to a charity of his choice? This is all just speculation and inspiration so far, but I'm all for making this idea a reality and a new Cardinal tradition. Of course, due to weather and timing, I believe this should be done on the weekend of March 6th to commemorate the final game played at Freedom Hall instead of the beginning of the basketball season in December.
Let me know your thoughts in the poll below and use the comments to answer the following questions:
1. Should this be an official event or something we just get together and do for free, worrying about our own transportation back to the starting point?
2. Do you like a different name for this event?
3. Do you think it should be at another date? If the weekend of March 6th, it would always be on a Saturday or Sunday, depending on if a basketball game was taking place or not.
4. Should it be one-way or round trip? I like one-way... signifies that we're not going back to Freedom Hall, but that brings up a transportation issue to work out.
5. Do you have a different route or modification to suggest?