During the Big Monday Halftime show Digger Phelps once again used his airtime to diss the Cards. His weapon of choice? UConn. By claiming that the Huskies have the best chance of any team in the Big East to go deep into the tourney, he silenty declared his disdain for Louisville.
Why does this Sharpie-accessorizing-has-been hate the Cards so much? It's hard to say without "digging" into the story:
So here, to illuminate, are the top 10 reasons Digger Phelps hates the Cardinals.
- Was once told by Darrell Griffith to "get his teeth fixed"
- Believes Denny Crum keyed his "sweet" Monte Carlo in 1974.
- Claims he, and not Ali, invented the nickname "The Greatest"
- Passed out at the Kentucky Derby and woke up in Secretiat's stall, naked and completely shaved.
- Secretariat never called
- Applied for UofL head coaching job in 1971 and was considered "a lock" until he failed to show up for the interview because Denny Crum had slashed the tires of his "sweet" Monte Carlo.
- Had $50 on UCLA in 1980
- Aspired to the priesthood until Cardinal Peter Moynihan told him he "dressed like a fruitcake."
- In the spring of 1946 was surrounded by a flock of cardinal birds which held him down and repeatedly violated him.
- Those birds had been trained by Denny Crum